Are you considering Invisalign to straighten your teeth and give yourself the beautiful smile you’ve always dreamt of? While Invisalign has made it easier to achieve a great set of straight teeth, there are still certain protocols for using the aligners correctly for them to be effective.
This blog post will provide insight into the dos and don’ts of Invisalign so you can get the most out of this orthodontic treatment. We’ll discuss proper cleaning habits, eating habits, and what you can expect during treatment.
So buckle up; let’s jump into what it takes for a successful Invisalign treatment!
What Is Invisalign?
Invisalign is a modern approach to straightening misaligned teeth without using traditional metal braces.
Invisalign uses custom-made aligners made of clear, plastic materials, which are virtually invisible when worn. Each set of aligners gradually moves your teeth to their ideal placement. It should be used as prescribed by a dentist or orthodontist and worn daily and at night.
Invisalign works better than regular braces in terms of comfort, convenience, and overall lifestyle impact. Patients report experiencing less discomfort during this treatment when compared to traditional braces!
What Should I Expect During Invisalign Treatment?
During Invisalign treatment, your dentist or orthodontist will begin by taking digital scans of your mouth. These will be used to create the Invisalign aligners. You will then receive sets of aligners during your appointments.
The Invisalign aligners are removable, which means you can still enjoy eating and drinking what you want when you want it. Make sure to brush and floss after eating, before reinserting the Invisalign aligner.
Invisalign treatment takes an average of 12 – 18 months. However, this can vary depending on complexity. You’ll find yourself wearing Invisalign aligners around 20-22 hours a day for the duration of your Invisalign treatment for it to be effective.
With Invisalign, experience a boost in confidence, knowing that your smile is becoming even more beautiful day after day!
Get Outstanding Dental Care with Us Today
At The Smile Space, we believe that comprehensive dental care should be accessible to everyone. Our experienced team is dedicated to providing the highest standard of care, using the latest technology and techniques. If you're looking for a dentist in Sutherland, book an appointment at The Smile Space today!
What Are the Dos of Invisalign?
Invisalign treatment is an increasingly popular orthodontic solution that is convenient, discreet, and effective. Its success rates are comparable to traditional braces.
To get the best results from Invisalign, it is important to follow the dos of Invisalign. This includes the following:
- Wear aligners for at least 20-22 hours a day.
- Remove Invisalign aligners carefully before eating or drinking anything other than plain water. Place them in a cup or their case for safe keeping throughout meals and snacks.
- Brush your teeth before putting on aligners to prevent food debris from getting stuck in the aligners.
- Clean Invisalign aligners with lukewarm soapy water. You can also use Invisalign cleaning solutions.
- Attend regular appointments with your dentist or orthodontist.
- Change aligner trays as directed by your dentist.
- Avoid foods that can potentially damage Invisalign aligners. This includes chewing gum or candy.
- In case of broken, lost, or warped aligners, talk to your dentist about getting replacement aligners.
These simple steps will help you receive the maximum benefits of Invisalign treatment.
What Are the Don'ts of Invisalign?
For Invisalign to be successful, there are certain things you should and should not do. Let’s go over some don’ts of Invisalign treatment to get the most out of your teeth alignment package.
- Don’t forget to wear your aligners for at least 22 hours daily. This will ensure maximum effectiveness.
- Steer clear of eating sticky and chewy foods during Invisalign treatment. These types of food can cause pain to your sensitive teeth.
- Don’t try to adjust Invisalign trays on your own using pliers or any other tools. This could distort the shape of your trays and make them unfit for wear.
- It’s important not to chew gum while wearing Invisalign braces.
- While Invisalign trays fit tightly over teeth, they can loosen over time if removed too much. Make sure not to take them out more frequently than your dentist prescribes.
- Avoid smoking while wearing Invisalign aligners. Nicotine residue can discolour the aligners over time.
- Do not soak your aligners in hot water, as this can cause the aligners to warp. Use lukewarm water instead. Also, avoid using harsh soaps and cleaning products.
These simple guidelines will help guarantee an efficient Invisalign experience and bring you beautiful smiles!
What Are the Consequences of Not Following These Instructions?
One must follow the dos and don’ts of Invisalign to get the most out of the Invisalign treatment. There can be many consequences if an Invisalign patient does not adhere to the following dos and don’ts:
- Difficulty fitting Invisalign trays properly.
- An increase in discomfort during Invisalign treatment.
- Lengthening the time frame for Invisalign treatment.
- Higher risk of Invisalign trays becoming damaged or lost.
- Increased risk of cavities, plaque and bacteria buildup, and gum disease due to improper brushing and flossing associated with Invisalign trays.
- Increased sensitivity at changeover times as teeth adjust to Invisalign trays each week or two.
- Potentially a lack of desirable outcomes since not following instructions can prevent Invisalign trays from working correctly.
Therefore, it’s important to adhere strictly to all instructions given by your dentist when undergoing Invisalign treatment!
Invisalign, the clear alternative to braces, is a great option for many people with mild to moderate orthodontic needs. For Invisalign to be effective, it is important to understand the dos and don’ts that must be followed during treatment. Following the dos and don’ts outlined in this post will help maximise your chances of success.
At The Smile Space, we are committed to helping you achieve your goals from your Invisalign treatment. We would be happy to answer any additional questions and help you decide if Invisalign is right for you.
Frequently Asked Questions
There may be instances when you need to skip wearing Invisalign for a day. It may be because of an important event, like a wedding or special occasion, or simply because you don’t feel like wearing them.
It is important to consider and understand the effects of skipping wearing aligners for a day on your teeth and treatment plan. Taking off Invisalign trays every once in a while can help give your teeth a break from the constant pressure. Skipping one day won’t make any drastic changes to your treatment plan, but if you don’t wear your aligners for longer periods, it can put your treatment off track and impact the results.
Ultimately, the decision is yours – if you decide to skip wearing your trays for a day, make sure that for the rest of your treatment, you wear them at least 20-22 hours per day, as recommended by most dental professionals.
Brushing your Invisalign with a soft-bristled toothbrush and toothpaste is a great way to keep them in top condition. However, it’s important to brush carefully and follow good cleaning practices.
Make sure you brush the surfaces of your aligners with a soft brush or cloth, gently removing stuck food particles. If you want to brush your aligners with toothpaste, use a non-abrasive formula. Rinse them using warm water. This will help keep the plastic from becoming scratched and damaged over time.
Soaking your Invisalign aligners in mouthwash may sound like a way to naturally disinfect, keep your aligners clean, and freshen up your smile-straightening product, but it’s not safe or recommended.
Mouthwash contains high concentrations of alcohol and other chemicals, which can damage the plastic that Invisalign trays are made from. This can cause discolouration, weaken the structure of the aligners, and affect their ability to fit properly for optimal results.
Additionally, there could be potential oral health risks associated with soaking them in mouthwash. Instead, you should stick to cleaning them with a denture cleaner, as your dental professional advises.
Drinking coffee through a straw while wearing Invisalign is not recommended since the liquid can get stuck between the trays, which can cause staining and discolouration. Additionally, sugary beverages like soda, iced tea, or energy drinks should also be avoided. These can lead to plaque buildup on the trays, leading to tooth decay.